Welcome! I’m Benjamin Stevens. I love photography, writing, and writing about photography. Read more about me here.
I’m interested in photography as a means of creative, self-expression
I strongly believe that creativity comes from within. It does not come from upgrading gear or worrying about likes, comments and shares.
But creativity is a vast and complex topic.
It doesn’t have neat and tidy gift-wrapped answers. It requires soul-searching and introspection. It can be immensely fulfilling one moment and terrifying the next.
To that end, my blog is the product of my endless interest in creative photography and the benefits it brings.
What is creativity exactly? Where does it come from? How does one summon it? Indeed, can one summit it?
These are all questions I attempt to answer. But in reality, I’m thinking out loud. I’m trying to be a more creative photographer myself!
With that said, do you struggle with any of the following?
- Defining your style and then expressing it through your photography.
- The inspiration or motivation to photograph the same old locations.
- Finding compositions in cluttered environments, or finding order in the chaos.
- Portraying emotion in your work, or receiving an emotional response from others.
- Not being fully present when out photographing.
The good news is that these problems don’t require expensive fixes.
You won’t need a Lee filter kit or Gitzo carbon fibre tripod to address these issues.
No, the answers to these problems come from within.
You could say our brains are the most important piece of kit we’ll ever own.
If you’re more poetic than I am, you might use the expression heart and soul.
But whatever you want to call it, our individuality is the most powerful, untapped source of creativity we possess.
Interested in learning more?
Check out some links to my most popular content:
The creative process
- How to look within and actually find your photographic style
- How to create personally meaningful work – the power of divergent thinking in photography
- How to be a more creative photographer and enrich your life in the process
- How to make fulfilling photographs in familiar locations
- On intuition, and the courage to be an expressive and creative photographer
- The missing link between mindfulness and creativity
- The true power of mindfulness photography and how to harness it
- How Claude Monet can make you a better photographer
- On mindfulness photography, and how it positively impacts your mental health
- How the three disciplines of Stoicism influence your photography
- On Taoism, and becoming a wise photographer with purpose
- Three things Stoicism can teach a photographer about dealing with criticism and getting over themselves
- Why ignoring our inner child is risky, and how we can rediscover our sense of wonder to become better photographers
- What Colonel Sanders can teach us about our photography
- Ego is not a dirty word
- You are not your Instagram account!
- Lessons learned from a Japanese sushi chef’s devotion to craft
Work with me
The content on my site is obviously free. But if you like the cut of my jib, then I do offer private coaching and photography workshops for groups (coming soon).
You can contact me at any time, my door is always open. Let’s chat!